Sunday, September 16, 2012

Make your Pappy Happy

So in addition to the 30 day green tea challenge, which I must brag, I have been maintaining even though the 30 days has been up for a while, the big man and I decided on a couples challenge as well.  Though originally my idea, it was finally agreed on by him and off we went a running.  The challenge?  Do something, anything, each day for 30 days, to show the opposite partner that they were thought of that day.  A daunting task to say the least.

It started off pretty good as I believe we had built up some ideas over the time it took to finally commit.  And then, it started to take on many faces.  At first I feel like it became a bit of a contest to see who could top the other in considerate actions.  It went rapidly from competition to a chore to be forced into doing, desperate last minute acts or claiming actions as their 'thing' even if they didn't come up with it, such as 'I let you go out for a couple of hours with a friend sans enfant'.  Scam I tell you. Cop out I say.  Though in all honesty, I was not fairing too much better.

Some days we rocked it, some days we failed miserably.  There were even a few days when nothing was done at all.......not naming names or anything............

Eventually, we started off our morning conversations like so... 'if you do the night routine while I go for a run, that can be your thing'.  The negative aspect of this?  The other person does not get a chance to come up with their own act of thoughfulness.  The positive?  They get to find out what is most cherished by the other.  If they could choose their 'thing' from the other person every day, this is what it would look like.

This challenge was, well, challenging.  It had its rewards for sure, but eventually it teetered off and lost its meaning.  Did it bring us closer together?  Nope, not really.  Once the 30 days were up, the days of thinking up nice things to do for each other came to an abrupt halt.  Oh well, on to the next 30 day challenge............hmmm any ideas out there?


Date night, a shared 'Thing'



No comments:

Post a Comment